What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
Who May Apply: Open to US citizens and applicants eligible under Schedule A authority.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M3-16-1777375 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID), Division of Foodborne Waterborne and Environmental Diseases (DFWED) , Office of the Director (OD), Atlanta, GA.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
CDC Financial Disclosure OGE form 450
Holding ourselves to a higher standard; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention inspires public confidence in its trust responsibilities and mission by maintaining high ethical principles. This position is subject to the confidential financial disclosure requirements of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 (P.L. 95-521). Therefore, if selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 450) to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interest and your prospective position with the agency. This Information will be required annually.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a Supervisory Research Health Scientist you will:
- Serve as a Senior Advisor and scientific and technical authority on antimicrobial resistance.
- Establish national and international comprehensive research programs designed to diagnose and prevent antimicrobial resistant infections in zoonotic bacterial foodborne diseases.
- Formulate concepts; develops and extends existing hypotheses; prepares research plans; carries out investigations and experiments; analyzes and interprets results; and presents results to national and international broad scientific and public health community; and organizes and supervises the collection and reporting of data.
- Responsible for representing the organization ; providing technical assistance to other scientists to facilitate collaborative experimentation and educational programs; training and directing technical personnel; reviewing documents; leading key organization scientific task forces and committees; delivering lectures; and conducting seminars nationwide.
- Serve as the Division's senior advisors in planning and coordinating methods development and applications projects in support of major organization research programs dealing with antibiotic resistance in zoonotic bacterial foodborne diseases and related issues.
- Occasional Travel
- Domestic 10% & International 5%