Air Traffic Organization - ATOLearn more about this agency
- This is a developmental Air Traffic Control Specialist (ATCS) position responsible for the safe, orderly, and expeditious movement of air traffic through the nation's airspace. Developmental controllers receive a wide range of training in controlling and separating live air traffic within designated airspace at and around an airport traffic control tower or radar approach control facility, or air route traffic control center.
- As a new ATCS, you will spend your first several weeks of employment in an intensive training program at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City, OK. While attending academy training you will be on a temporary appointment. Academy students receive basic air traffic control training at the FAA Academy, which includes:
- Complete occupational indoctrination including highlights of Federal employment, familiarization with organizational structure & functions, aircraft, air traffic control system, & aviation industry, classroom instruction & workshop exercises relating to air traffic control system.
- Individuals who do not successfully complete training at the FAA Academy and all other necessary requirements will have their employment terminated.
- Prior failure of FAA Academy training or prior declination of permanent facility placement offer after completing Academy training may constitute a basis for non-selection and/or veterans' preference pass over.
- Upon successful completion of the Academy initial training program & other employment requirements, newly hired ATCS's will be offered a permanent appointment at an FAA facility with a basic salary of $38,193, plus applicable locality pay based on facility assignment. Applicants with prior ATC experience will have their salary set in accordance with the ATCS Collective Bargaining Agreement, upon conversion.
- ATCS's will be paid long term expense rate (per diem) for Oklahoma City, OK to help offset daily cost of living while attending FAA Academy. FAA will pay for cost of travel in accordance with applicable agency policies.
- As an ATCS you will receive pay increases as you successfully complete the progressive phases of controller training at your assigned facility. The FAA has Air Traffic Control Facilities in every state as well as Puerto Rico, The U. S. Virgin Islands, and Guam. This announcement is open to those applicants willing to work at any FAA Air Traffic Control Facility. Applicant geographic area preferences are for informational purposes only and will not be used in the selection process; however, preferences may be considered at time of placement. Facility placements will be finalized the day following successful completion of Academy training. Declining to select a facility from the list of available facilities will result in termination of employment, as placement will be based upon the needs of the FAA.
- Prior experience or training in air traffic control is not required. If a candidate applies for and is selected under this temporary trainee announcement, all of the employment conditions associated with this FG-1 position will apply, regardless of whether the candidate possesses the specialized experience that would have otherwise qualified him/her under the December 2015 - March 2016 ATCS vacancy announcement FAA-ATO-ATC-EXP-44955.
- The FAA expects to issue an announcement within the next 60 days for applicants with 52 consecutive weeks of air traffic control involving the full-time active separation of air traffic after receipt of an air traffic certification or air traffic control (ATC) facility rating within 5 years of application for those who served at a FAA air traffic control facility, OR a civilian or military ATC facility, OR a tower operating under contract with the FAA under section 47124. The maximum entry age for applicants under this experience announcement will be age 35.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/446961800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.