When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.Learn more about this agency
This position is located within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Office of Response and Recovery (ORR), Field Operations Directorate (FOD), Operational Coordination Division (OCD). As a Federal Coordination Officer (FCO), you will serve as the principal advisor to the Administrator. The incumbent will lead and coordinate the timely delivery of all Federal disaster assistance to support state and local governments and affected communities.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
This position is being announced under FEMA's Federal Coordinating Officer Program. In order to provide consistent level of skills and professional expertise, Congress, in 1997, approved full-time FCO positions within FEMA to manage and coordinate all hazard response disaster activities and support ongoing field operations. This is a Temporary Full Time position (TFT) within the excepted service. These are temporary appointments with no set expiration date.
The Federal Coordinating Officer (FCO) establishes the Federal presence as the President’s representative at the disaster operation site. The FCO is responsible for government and intergovernement disaster coordination; and leads program operations for the delivery of disaster assistance and relief services to survivors. Typical duties for the FCO include:
- Coordinates the relationships between Federal, State, local and FEMA personnel in partnership with the State Coordinating Officer (SCO).
- Manages the media, community, and other external relations to communicate the availability of disaster assistance to Congress, applicants, and the general public.
- Advises the Governor on the status of the Federal response.
- Directs other agencies to support the state in identifying and meeting disaster needs.
- Maintains financial oversight to ensure the operation is efficient and effective.
- Responsible for the overall safety of personnel assigned to the disaster operation, and accountability for all property assigned to support the disaster operation.
- Plans, develops, reviews, and evaluates all phases and functions of the disaster field operation programs conducted by FEMA.
50% or less - Emergency and non-emergency travel will be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/446927000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.