Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for implementing the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. This law gives FDA authority over tobacco products by adding a new chapter to the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The Tobacco Control Act gives FDA the authority to regulate tobacco products and manufacturers based on the best available science and CTP is responsible for both assessing and fostering that science-base. CTP's actions have significant public health and consumer protection impact, and are among the most important issues faced by the Agency in its long and distinguished history.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), Office of Science (OS) located in Silver Spring, MD.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CTP-16-MP-1770096ND under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is being announced as an Interdisciplinary Engineer and may be filled by any of the following series:
General Engineer, GS-0801
Biomedical Engineer, GS-0858
Chemical Engineer, GS-0893
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Responsible for analyzing and determining the adequacy of data and tests submitted by a manufacturer regarding the safety and public health impact of regulated products.
- Develop new approaches to engineering problems.
- Prepare written synopses of reviews of reports/applications with recommendations for revision, acceptance or rejection.
- Provide oral reviews of tobacco product design and offer recommendations for action on applications submitted by industry.
- Provide engineering support in developing guidance and review documents submitted for regulatory action.
- Occasional Travel
- Domestic and International Travel estimated at 2%