About the Agency
We seek a dynamic and innovative leader to serve as the Deputy Director for Operations at the Volpe National Transportation Systems Center, located in Cambridge, MA. This position leads and oversees the comprehensive administrative, operational, and planning support functions for Volpe, and serves as the principal advisor on such matters to the Volpe Director. The Deputy Director for Operations provides general managerial oversight for the Offices of Human Resources, Acquisitions, Information Technology, Facilities Management, Organizational Culture and Work Life, and Research Infrastructure and Operations, which collectively has a staff of approximately 85 Federal employees and is supported by several hundred contractors.
To succeed in this rewarding and challenging leadership position you must have expertise leading people and programs in the areas of internal administrative and operations services. You must have the ability to develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders internal and external to Volpe and DOT. You must also have demonstrated ability to manage personnel, facilities, equipment and contracts to drive down overhead costs while improving internal customer service. Travel is required (15-30%).
Current SES members, or other federal equivalent, whose current pay is higher than the top range listed may be paid at their current level.
Visit our website to learn more about our world-class team, our work, and our award-winning programs and projects http://www.volpe.dot.gov/.
Within the fee-for-service operating model and business environment, the Deputy Director for Operations:
- Plans and delivers a comprehensive human resources, work life, and labor management program to continually build and maintain the professional, world-class, multidisciplinary technical expertise of Volpe staff.
- Contracts for services, equipment, materials and supplies to meet Volpe’s project and institutional requirements and ensuring compliance with Federal and DOT acquisition regulations.
- Plans and provides information technology (IT) services and infrastructure for Volpe and assures IT integration to maximize efficiency and minimize costs of Volpe’s internal operations, project support and management systems.
- Manages all Volpe facilities and serves as Senior Real Property Officer, and establishes, develops and oversees a comprehensive safety, security, emergency preparedness, disaster recovery and environmental health program for the facility and occupants.
- Provides critical leadership in the property exchange effort underway in partnership with the General Services Administration. Works closely with DOT senior officals on the solicitation process and the subsequent design and construction of a state-of-the-art facility for Volpe on a portion of the property to be retained by the federal government.
- Coordinates and monitors performance data for all operational activities to track satisfaction with current efforts, assess capability/capacity for new initiatives, consult on the deployment of technologies or adaptability of technologies to new applications, and develop feedback loops to refine services.
- Communicates regularly with other Volpe senior management officials to review current needs and opportunities, and develops and implements plans to make senior officials in OST-R and DOT aware of Volpe operational requirements as well as how Volpe can support OST-R and DOT goals.
- Implements and supports strategic direction over all Volpe operational activities and shapes Volpe’s corporate culture to create a distinct and positive Volpe identity, consistent with DOT and OST-R goals.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel is required (15-30%)