OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service. If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define who we are, our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence (I CARE).
America's Veterans need you! To find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/jobs/.Learn more about this agency
The Medical Supply Technician positions are located in the Sterile Processing Service, within the Black Hills Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Fort Meade or Hot Springs, South Dakota.
(2) Positions will be physically located in Fort Meade, South Dakota.
(1) Position will be physically located in Hot Springs, South Dakota.
The duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Collects, processes and decontaminates soiled supplies, instruments and equipment; instrument preparation and sterilization; medical equipment maintenance, receiving, storing, and distribution of surgical and medical instruments and equipment.
- Determines the proper techniques for pickup, transportation, cleaning, and disinfecting contaminated items.
- Packages items to be individually packaged, determines the method of sterilization, applies a chemical indicator, labels the package with the proper name of the item, and loads the item into the appropriate sterilizer.
- Selects correct sterilizing medium and cycles and operates sterilizers.
- Maintains records of all sterilization procedures.
- Assembles, packages, wraps, and sterilizes medical supply items, and performs comprehensive sterilization testing procedures utilizing microorganisms and chemical reactive testing to ensure all sterilization parameters are being met by sterilizer chambers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
DESIGNATED DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, varying schedules between the hours of 6:00am and 4:30pm, weekends and evenings as required.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel to other sites may be required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/443929700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.