This position is located in Agricultural Research Service in the Physiology & Pathology of Tree Fruit Research Unit, Wenatchee, Washington.Learn more about this agency
Wenatchee is located on the Columbia River in central Washington in the rain shadow of the Cascade Mountains. Washington’s ecological diversity includes rainforests, high desert, and active volcanos. Vancouver, Portland, and Seattle are well within a day’s drive. The Wenatchee Valley Area is home to about 50,000 people. The cost of living is slightly higher than average, but the attractive climate is often cited as a reason to live in central Washington. For more information, see wenatchee.gov and wenatchee.org.
The mission of the Physiology and Pathology of Tree Fruits Research Unit is to expand the knowledge of deciduous tree fruit production systems in the areas of plant disease and fruit quality.
This position will support a Research Molecular Biologist conducting research on post-harvest quality of tree fruit, with an emphasis on genomics of apple and pear.
This is a term, time-limited appointment with an initial duration no less than 13 months and can be extended up to a total of 4 years.
Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains, calibrates and modifies complex/specialized equipment and automated systems used for test and evaluation procedures.
- Collects, prepares, evaluates and verifies samples and supporting records. Maintains records and locates and compiles data and other information from various sources.
- Maintains inventory of chemicals, stock solutions, etc., prepares solutions and reagents for use in the laboratory, field, or greenhouse, and safely disposes of waste material (both chemical and biological).
- Adapts, modifies or develops new techniques and/or procedures to satisfy the needs of the research project.
- Tabulates, statistically analyzes and summarizes data using personal computers and software packages.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/443327900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.