*Are you a Computer Scientist looking for a position in the Federal workforce? *Do you have a passion for providing customer service? *Do you want to be part of an important aspect of the Federal Government, helping with exciting and groundbreaking incentives? If you answered "yes" to these questions, then this is the job for you! Come join the USGS and start doing the job you've always dreamed of!Learn more about this agency
Why Is It Great To Work For The USGS?
Embark on an exciting future! From the peaks of the highest mountains to the depths of the deepest seas, the U.S. Geological Survey has career opportunities that make a difference in both the lives of others and in the environment. Would you like to join the more than 10,000 scientists, technicians, and support staff of the USGS who are working in more than 400 locations throughout the United States? Apply today! As the Nation's largest water, earth, and biological science and civilian mapping agency, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) collects, monitors, analyzes, and provides scientific understanding about natural resource conditions, issues, and problems. The diversity of our scientific expertise enables us to carry out large-scale, multi-disciplinary investigations and provide impartial, timely, and relevant scientific information to resource managers, planners, and other customers related to: the health of our ecosystems and environment; natural hazards that threaten us; natural resources we rely on, and; the impact of climate and land-use changes. For more information about the USGS please visit http://www.usgs.gov
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
This is a term appointment for which all qualified applicants with or without Federal status may apply and be considered. Appointment to this position, however, will not convey permanent status in the Federal service and will be for a period not to exceed 13 months with possible extensions up to a total of 4 years without further competition.
Salary: $46,562 (Step 01) to $60,531 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
SALARY WAS UPDATED ON 07/05/2016 TO REFLECT ACCURATE SALARY RANGE FOR ADVERTISED GRADE.
As a Computer Scientist within the Astrogeology Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Plan, organize, implement, and test large software systems that store, manipulate and present data acquired by telescopes, aircraft, spacecraft, and surface instruments in an office, laboratory or field environment.
- Develop integrated software systems and tools to support the objectives of Astrogeology scientists and technical staff.
- Develop computer applications and software libraries or tools used to process complex data sets.
- Implement geometric data formats and cartographic systems to produce coherent digital mosaics for interchange of data between cartographers, geoscientists, and spacecraft navigation and telemetry teams.
- Implement numerical approximation methods necessary for processing and analyzing planetary remote sensing data.
For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/telework.html.
Occasional travel - Average of 2 nights of travel per month required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/442919200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.