What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
- During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hours may apply.
- This vacancy is limited to the first 30 applications received and will close at midnight Eastern Time on the day this application limit is reached regardless of the closing date specified in this vacancy announcement. Any application received prior to midnight Eastern Time of the day the application limit is reached will be accepted and considered. You are strongly encouraged to submit all required supporting documents at the time of application should the vacancy close earlier than stated in this announcement due to the applicant limit being reached. Supporting documents will not be accepted once the vacancy announcement closes.
- Salary: GS-05: $35,265 (Step 01) to $45,844 (Step 10); GS-07: $43,684 (Step 01) to $56,790 (Step 10);NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
- In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- you must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); and
- enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; and
- students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; and
- the duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
- You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
The USGS National Geospatial Program Center is seeking students working towards a degree in Geography to gain practical experience.
As a Student Trainee (Geography) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of Geography.
- Using GIS and associated software to perform a variety of reviewing and editing tasks to vector and raster datasets.
- Using GIS and other software color schemes.
- Building maps using vector and raster data.
- Using GIS in managing and manipulating databases and data files.
- Studying theoretical literature of cartography, geography and related sciences to keep abreast of the state-of-the-art.
For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/telework.html.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified U.S. citizens who meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described below.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/441583400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.