These positions are in the Office of Audit Services (OAS), in OIG/HHS. OAS examines the performance of HHS programs and/or HHS grantees and contractors in implementing their responsibilities and provides independent assessments of HHS programs and operations. These assessments help reduce waste, abuse, and mismanagement and promote economy and efficiency throughout HHS. OAS conducts audits using its own resources and oversees audit work done by others. It conducts its work in accordance with Government Auditing Standards issued by the Comptroller General of the United States; the Single Audit Act Amendments of 1996; applicable Office of Management and Budget circulars; and other legal, regulatory, and administrative requirements.Learn more about this agency
These positions are for current students enrolled in an accredited college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate. This is an excepted service, developmental appointment under the OIG Pathways Internship Program. After the Intern successfully completes the developmental program and meets the OPM Qualification Standards for an Auditor, OIG may noncompetitively convert the Intern to a term or permanent appointment in the competitive service.
Note: Conversion is not guaranteed and is based on the needs of OIG.
This vacancy is limited to the first 50 applications received and will close at midnight on the closing date or when the numerical cut-off is reached, whichever occurs first.
As an Student Trainee (Auditor) GS-05, the applicant will:
- Perform a variety of tasks assigned to obtain experience in the practical application of accounting principles, procedures, and techniques.
- Assist in determining program compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Assist in determining whether programs are operating efficiently, effectively, and achieving desired results.
- Study functional and program manuals to gain knowledge of the audit subjects under evaluation.
- Prepare working papers. Records in a prescribed format the information pertinent to the audit findings.
- Attend conferences to learn presentation techniques.
- Prepare charts, tables, graphs, and other exhibits to aid in the presentation of audit findings.
- Communicates with project leader, team members and auditees concerning issues affecting audit assignments.
As an Student Trainee (Auditor) GS-07, the applicant will:
- Work as an audit team member on specified audit assignments which facilitate the efforts of the team and provide experience toward independently planning and conducting complete audit assignments. The auditor applies conventional audit techniques to complete relatively uncomplicated evaluations.
- Verify reports against source accounts and records to determine the reliability of data and accuracy of computations, reconciling accounts and verifying the detail of recorded transactions, tracing item through ledger and accounts to original media from which they were recorded.
- Verify the appropriateness of charges such as labor and materials and the transactions were properly recorded and that products or services were actually provided.
- Compare the similarities and differences of accounting systems in categorizing and reporting particular types of transactions.
- Call supervisor's attention to unusual or questionable transactions or when problems encountered do not fit instructions or guidelines.
- Make recommendations concerning changes when current accounting or control procedures do not achieve the desired results or are no longer appropriate for situations encountered.
Occasional travel - 10% or less
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Current students enrolled in an accredited college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/437495800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.