About the Agency
GAO's work is designed to address four goals:
- to help the Congress address current and emerging challenges to the well-being and financial security of the American people;
- to help the Congress to respond to changing security threats and the challenges of global interdependence;
- to help transform the Federal government to address national challenges; and
- to maximize the value of GAO by enabling quality, timely service to Congress and by being a leading practices Federal agency.
Voted one of the best places to work in the federal government since 2005, we provide flexibilities and benefits to our employees. We promote dynamic and forward-thinking workplace practices. We foster an inclusive work environment that emphasizes continuous learning, personal and professional development, and incentives for exceptional performance. We promote equal opportunity for all staff without regard to age, disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. GAO's success in embracing and leveraging the diversity of its employees is central to our mission of serving a diverse American population through its congressional representatives.
To learn more about GAO please visit us on the web at http://www.gao.gov/careers/index.html.
This position is located in Government Accountability Office (GAO), Strategic Planning External Liaison (SPEL). SPEL leads GAO’s efforts in strategic foresight and planning, which are key components to the agency’s strategic management framework. SPEL also supports GAO in improving accountability and governance in the U.S. and other countries by providing strategic focus for GAO’s work, building networks and relationships, facilitating innovating and collaboration, and strengthening capacity through sharing knowledge both within GAO and with other public and private sector organizations.
The primary purpose of the position is to support and assist the Strategic Planning and Innovation Manager to:
- build, support and sustain GAO’s continuous environmental scanning and foresight program;
- develop GAO's multi-year strategic plan and related products in various media;
- coordinate and integrate GAO's strategic planning and foresight programs with other institutional management processes including enterprise risk management, performance and accountability annual reporting, and engagement planning; and
- serve as a liaison to other foresight efforts in the federal government and organizations around the world.
- Supports GAO's strategic planning efforts, including preparing and updating GAO's multi-year strategic plan and related products in various media; coordinating with GAO's strategic goal liaisons, trend paper leads, goal integrators, planners, units/teams in preparing the planning and reporting documents; defining and aligning plans with overall institutional strategic goals, performance goals, key efforts, and performance measures; quality checking the strategic plan; and issuing communication about the plan’s publication.
- Uses strategic planning and foresight outcomes to help inform cross-agency initiatives, management of GAO advisory entities, and strengthen capacities of domestic and international accountability partners.
- Builds and maintains tracking systems to monitor the results of strategic foresight and environmental scanning processes to assist in GAO's organizational and strategic planning efforts.
- Conducts environmental scans of GAO’s internal and external environment through monitoring press and online information sources, conducting literature reviews, attending meetings, seminars and conferences, and building networks with emerging issues thought leaders and experts from the strategic planning and public sector foresight community.