The successful candidate(s) will serve as a Scientific Review Officer(s), significantly contributing to the primary mission of the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) Office of Scientific Review (OSR) in developing and implementing policies and procedures for reviewing the scientific and technical merit of all applications for research, research training, capacity building and other grant support submitted to NIGMS.
The NIGMS Office of Scientific Review is soliciting applications for Scientific Review Officers to manage the peer review of grant applications that cover a wide range of research, training, capacity building, and other NIGMS-specific programmatic areas of interest. Candidates should have a broad scientific background, with expertise in one or more biomedical research areas, including cell and molecular biology, genetics, developmental biology, pharmacology, physiology, biological chemistry, and/or biophysics. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to mentoring, particularly of diverse populations underrepresented in the biomedical sciences, and to capacity building at institutions located in states in which the aggregate success rate for applications to NIH has historically been low are encouraged to apply.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institutes of Health (NIH), NIGMS, Office of Scientific Review. For more information, please visit https://www.nigms.nih.gov/Pages/default.aspx .Learn more about this agency
As a Health Scientist Administrator (Scientific Review Officer) at the GS-14 level you will:
- Serve as a Health Scientist Administrator with responsibility in providing policy direction and coordination for the planning and execution of initial scientific and technical review conducted within the Institute.
- Utilize scientific knowledge and expertise to perform a variety of management functions associated with the scientific peer review of IC research and research training support activities and other contract activities.
- Manage the initial scientific and administrative review of grant, program project grant, and training grant applications as well as research project applications submitted in response to requests for applications.
- Appoint and manage review panels, including the identification of qualified reviewers to evaluate all applications and proposals and upon own knowledge as a scientist and any recommendations from IC and NIH program officials, to assemble a balanced group of experts and consultants.
- Establish the criteria and standards for the review panel to follow based upon expert knowledge of the relevant scientific fields, NIH, and IC review policies and procedures.
- Provide information to the consultants on each committee assembled as a basis for reviewing and evaluating grant applications, contract proposals; collects and provides essential information for committee members.
- Prepare summary statements of review committee findings and recommendations for use by the IC advisory committee; attends committee meeting and responds to impromptu questions related to the review of the assigned application.
- Act as the sole Federal official and agency representative by guiding the activities of a review committee by orienting new review members and ensuring continuity in their approach toward evaluating applications, proposals, and adherence to peer review policies and procedures.
If you are selected at the GS-13 level, you will essentially perform the same duties of the GS-14 level described above, however, duties are less complex and will be performed with more detailed guidance.
If you are selected at the GS-12 level, you will essentially perform the same duties of the GS-13, however, duties will include assisting in administering the review of applications and in reviewing the qualifications of members of review panels which evaluate all applications.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/436235200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.