U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services secures America's promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system. Visit us at http://www.uscis.gov/.
Every day, our Immigration Services Officers grant or deny complex and highly sensitive applications and petitions for immigration benefits and provide assistance to other federal agencies in identifying individuals who pose a threat to national security and public safety.
This position of IMMIGRATION SERVICES OFFICER starts at a salary of $48,968.00(GS-09 step 1), to $92,316.00 (GS-12 step 10). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the OFFICE OF FIELD OPERATIONS, DISTRICT 18, HARLINGEN, TX FIELD OFFICE within U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here
This position is in the bargaining unit.
This position is not considered "essential" for purposes of reporting to work when the facility might otherwise be closed.
Relocation expenses are authorized if you are assigned to the RAIO program and have been approved for rotation from an overseas assignment. Relocation expenses for employees assigned to an OCONUS location will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Note: USCIS may fill one or more positions using this vacancy.Learn more about this agency
As an Immigration Services Officer, you will:
- Grant or deny complex and highly sensitive applications and petitions for immigration benefits based on electronic or paper applications/petitions.
- Research, interpret and apply appropriate statutes, regulations, and precedent decisions to make adjudicative decisions.
- Interview applicants and petitioners to elicit statements, assess credibility, and analyze information to identify facts that form the basis for a decision concerning eligibility for immigration benefits.
- Conduct security checks and provide assistance to Federal law enforcement agencies to identify individuals who are ineligible for immigration benefits due to national security, public safety, or other legal grounds.
- Use electronic systems to provide verification of any number of established data points to make adjudicative decisions, determine appropriate level of adjudicative review, and update databases with appropriate information and decisions.
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence, and limited complexity.
Occasional travel - OCCASIONAL TRAVEL MAY BE REQUIRED.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/435861300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.