Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1667617
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not
only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care
system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans
through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals
feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life.
VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible
scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans
Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs
employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who
served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you
a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly
special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about
their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers
generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling
opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and
professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's
If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran
already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the
VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans. The VA is much more
than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of
those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that
apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we
are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other
beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment,
Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I
America's Veterans need you! To find
out more, go to http://www.va.gov/jobs/.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
To provide outreach for readjustment counseling to
eligible veterans and family members in the Vet Center program. Readjustment counseling includes individual
and group counseling to veterans and family members over issues of Post
Traumatic Stress Disorder and related psychological difficulties, marital and
family issues, substance abuse, employment, military sexual trauma,
homelessness, bereavement, and other issues impacting upon a veteran's ability
to successfully re-enter civilian society. This task is accomplished in collaboration
with other members of the Vet Center or other interdisciplinary treatment teams
both within the Department of Veteran Affairs or community agencies, and
community/government social services agencies.
- Complete psycho-social assessment and military history.
- Develop unique treatment plans and reflect a course of therapeutic intervention that will address the needs identified in the assessment.
- Review and update plans as necessary.
- Maintain and exercise an effective resource data base to address the needs served by programs external to the Vet Center.
- Identify and maintain relationships with resources to facilitate referrals.
- Act as subject matter expert to agencies and programs external to the Vet Center in matters of veteran readjustment.
- Responsible for using current social work resources files of the Vet Center and community social service programs and enhancing the content to the benefits of veterans. Referring veterans as needed to services.
- Acts as an advocate for veterans and family members without fostering dependency and preserving the right of the veteran to exercise choice.
- Provides education or facilitates education to external elements and to veterans and family members on a variety of health topics common to war veterans based on age, injury, or war theatre.
- Coordinates non-institutional and institutional services.
- Exercises a variety of individual and group counseling techniques.
- Performs outreach to veterans for the purpose of educating about readjustment issues and assistance available.
- Comply with all regulations of the Veterans Health Administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm, some nights and weekends, subject to change based on Agency needs.
Position Description Title/FS#: Social Worker - Counselor/000000
Relocation Authorized: No
Full performance level of this position is GS-11.
- Occasional Travel
- Approx. 5% Travel Required