Amended to extend the closing date from 4/6/16 to 4/20/16.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
As a Senior/Subject Matter Expert Fire Protection Engineer, you will serve as an in-house fire protection expert, an internal consultant to A/Es and project managers, a problem solver to help resolve fire protection challenges, and a planner to establish long-range plans and strategies to maintain the fire and life safety of our buildings.
This position is located in PBS, Ofc of the Regional Commissioner, Design & Construction Division, Engineering Program Services Branch, Kansas City, MO (6P1CD).
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
This vacancy is also being announced as Vacancy Announcement Number 1606028CSMP under Merit Promotion regulations. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion Procedures. Note: You must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered under both procedures.
Learn more about this agency
As a Subject Matter Expert Fire Protection Engineer, your duties will include:
- Developing technical strategies, scopes of work, and budgetary cost estimates of fire, smoke, and life safety systems for new building construction, building renovations, and tenant space alteration projects for office buildings, laboratories, warehouses, data centers for low-rise and high-rise buildings.
- Providing planning, leadership and technical strategies and solutions to the organization (including project teams, field offices, asset management, and PBS management) in the fire protection arena in long-range planning, funding calls, problem solving, and tenant space issue resolution.
- Reviewing drawings and specifications for building construction and renovation projects and most space layouts to ensure compliance with current GSA standards for fire protection, exiting arrangements, and other safety features.
- Developing efficient, effective, and timely solutions to challenging technical design and construction problems with the goal of assisting project teams in executing construction projects that are safe and code compliant.
- Acting as Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) on assigned projects.
- Applying numerous fire protection codes, standards, and building codes to GSA-owned and leased facilities.
- Acting as a consultant on fire protection and prevention to upper levels of management, field office managers, and PBS engineers, architect/engineering firms, and the personnel of other agencies.
Occasional travel - Occasional Business Travel
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island).
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/433530700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.