Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position: Serves as a General Engineer in the Directed Energy Division as the authority and technical expert for development and demonstration of Directed Engery (DE) capabilities for air and missile defense. As senior engineer, provides coordination and oversight of diverse DE technology development programs managed by multiple services and Army elements.
Redstone Arsenal is a 38K acre facility with 28K government and contract employees. The immediate area has a population of 276K, harboring a variety of first-rate primary and secondary schools, colleges, universities, and trade schools. The area offers countless recreational activities; not to mention a very low cost of living.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Serve as the Technology Directorate authority and technical expert for development and demonstration of Directed Energy (DE) capabilities for ballistic missile defense at the tactical and strategic level.
- Provide coordination and oversight of diverse DE technology development programs managed by multiple Services and Army elements.
- Pioneer development efforts to achieve previously unattained capabilities and characteristics in DE devices and integrated systems used for missile defense applications.
- Participate in the development of multi-nation Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) and Data Exchange Agreements (DEAs) in relevant technical areas.
- Exercise designated technical authority to establish overall program goals, objectives, and schedules for monthly, yearly, and multi-yearly increments to support oversight responsibility for separately managed program elements managed by entities.
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must meet the Time in Grade Restriction.
Time in Grade Restriction: Must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade (GS-14), or equivalent.
- Occasional Travel
- Position requires business travel up to 20% of the time.