This position will serve as a Biological Science Lab Technician with the Produce Safety and Microbiology Research Unit of the Agricultural Research Service located in Albany, CA. Your work will directly impact the quality of the fundamental and applied research to improve the safety of the nation's food supply. Molecular, biochemical, and analytical research approaches are used in understanding interactions between pathogenic bacteria and fresh produce and in developing novel interventions to remove or minimize contamination by these pathogenic microorganisms in foods.
This is a term appointment with an initial period of not-to-exceed 13 months. Extensions may be offered each year for an additional year not to exceed a total of 4 years.Learn more about this agency
Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Participates in one or more phases of the research process by performing a variety of complex technical duties, in a laboratory, field, or greenhouse environment, common to the assigned area of work, and contributes ideas towards the planning and sequencing of the technical aspects of the research.
- Adapts, modifies or develops new techniques and/or procedures to satisfy the needs of the research project.
- Performs the full range of techniques and studies using a variety of specialized equipment.
- Maintains, calibrates and modifies complex/specialized equipment and automated systems used for test and evaluation procedures.
- Maintains inventory of chemicals, stock solutions, etc., prepares solutions and reagents for use in the laboratory, field, or greenhouse, and safely disposes of waste material (both chemical and biological).
- Keeps work-site in a neat and orderly manner.
- Keep detailed and updated laboratory records including the strain database.
- Communicates technical information and data analysis results with a variety of individuals, including scientists, technicians within the organization, universities, and stakeholders.
- Searches for literature pertinent to area of research for new procedures or techniques to use in the laboratory, field, or greenhouse.
- Collects, prepares, evaluates and verifies samples and supporting records. Maintains records and locates and compiles data and other information from various sources.
- Keeps detailed records of experimental data. Tabulates, statistically analyzes and summarizes data using personal computers and software packages.
- Independently initiates action to resolve or correct technical difficulties and results, or recommends resolution to supervisor.
Occasional travel - To attend training and conferences
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/431012800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.