This position is located in the Agricultural Research Service, Commodity Protection and Quality Research Unit located in Parlier, CA.Learn more about this agency
The mission of the Commodity Protection and Quality Research Unit is to develop alternative chemical and non-chemical treatments to replace methyl bromide use on horticultural stored products to meet quarantine and phytosanitary needs, to preserve or extend domestic and export markets, and to ensure quality maintenance of California-grown horticultural commodities, extend storage life, and reduce postharvest losses caused by senescence, pathogens, insect pests, and postharvest treatments.
This Biological Science Technician supports a Research Scientist whose research focuses on the control of insect pests of tree nuts and other pests of Western US agriculture. Duties include year round sample collection in the field, checking and servicing insect traps in the field, assessing field collected samples in the lab, colony maintenance and data entry.
Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains, calibrates and modifies complex/specialized equipment and automated systems used for test and evaluation procedures.
- Actively participates in one or more phases of the research process by performing a variety of complex technical duties, in a laboratory, field, or greenhouse environment, common to the assigned area of work, and contributes ideas towards the planning and sequencing of the technical aspects of the research.
- Maintains inventory of chemicals, stock solutions, etc., prepares solutions and reagents for use in the laboratory, field, or greenhouse, and safely disposes of waste material (both chemical and biological).
- Collects, prepares, evaluates and verifies samples and supporting records.
- Travels to sites (50-90 minutes from laboratory) to perform field work.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/430508300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.