The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-NJ-1611059-ESEP/MP for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
The position of Public Health Nutritionist reports to a Supervisory Public Health Nutritionist or a Community Health Director within the Division of Public Health in Hospitals and/or Clinics on the Navajo Reservation--Chinle PHS Hospital and Pinon and Tsaile Health Clinics in Arizona and Crownpoint, Gallup and Shiprock PHS Hospitals in New Mexico. Positions help plan, coordinate, implement and evaluate community-based nutrition care, education and promotion of services; assists with the provision of services and the development and implementation of innovative programs through collaboration with dietary services, health promotion, public health Nursing, clinical diabetes and other departments and programs in order to meet the needs of the Service Unit and the community for which it serves.Learn more about this agency
- Assess community nutrition needs; evaluates nutrition services in the Service Unit and reservation communities
- Recommends policies, procedures and program
- Establishes long and short-range objectives, sets priorities, plans methods and evaluates progress
- Participates in the development of Health Promotion/Disease Prevention programs
- Provides technical consultation to professional and allied health staff of Indian Health Service, Tribal and community, schools and institutional settings
- Works with other health care professionals in the development of appropriate, culturally specific nutrition education materials
- Cooperates with personnel of other health agencies and groups serving the Indian population to coordinate Service Unit nutrition activities and programs
- Prepares special and periodic reports and performs other duties as assigned
Occasional travel - For meetings and Trainings
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States Citizens
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/429619400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.