Vacancy ID: 1602422
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service.
If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define who we are, our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence (I CARE).
America's Veterans need you!
To find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/jobs/.
The Medical Librarian, located at the Robley Rex VA Medical Center, Louisville, Kentucky, is responsible for supervising both existing library programs and the day-to-day operations, and, within existing budgetary and organization policy constraints, planning and implementing new programs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Recommends, implements, and reviews all library policies and procedures related to both public and technical services;
- Provides reference (i.e., information) services to library clientele;
- Develops, within budgetary constraints, comprehensive, quality library collections (i.e., monographs, serials, audiovisuals, electronic resources);
- Establishes and supervises a collection development program which ensures the availability of adequate in-house resources to support: 1) the clinical information needs of the medical staff; the medical and surgical residents; the nursing staff; the medical, nursing, and allied health students; the research personnel; patients and patients' families; 2) the health management information needs of administration and the management staffs; and, 3) the teaching activities being carried out in a variety of disciplines;
- Selects, administers and organizes the monograph and the audiovisual collections of the medical library and supervises the ordering, receipt, processing, and cataloging of these materials;
- Reviews and selects journal titles for first-time purchase, renewal or deletion, and decides which vendor will handle the annual serials order;
- Reviews annually the journal holdings, and selects serials based upon needs assessments, user surveys, and projected programs and services of the medical center;
- Evaluates and selects for listing the databases, electronic resources, and miscellaneous Internet sites and monitors the library web page for website address accuracy;
- Establishes borrowing and lending policies which determine the following: 1) which clientele may access the service; 2) which libraries may be accessed for borrowing and in what sequence; and, 3) what in- house materials are available for loan to other libraries;
- Utilizes the National Library of Medicine and the Library of Congress classification schedules as well as online cataloging systems (e.g., OCLC);
- Writes reports, establishes policies, and develops proposals relative to library operations;
- Oversees the library technicians, temporary employees, student help, and volunteers in the performance of their daily library tasks; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday thru Friday, 8:00am 4:30pm