The Department of Labor (DOL) seeks to attract and retain a high performing and diverse workforce in which employees’ differences are respected and valued to better meet the varying needs of the diverse customers we serve. DOL fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that promotes collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all individuals are able to participate and contribute to their full potential.Learn more about this agency
This position is located in the Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Office of Technology and Survey Processing (OTSP), Directorate of Survey Processing, Division of Federal State Monthly Surveys, Unemployment Systems Branch.
BLS is the principal Federal agency responsible for measuring labor market activity, working conditions, and price changes in the economy. Its mission is to collect, analyze, and disseminate essential economic information to support public and private decision-making. As an independent statistical agency, BLS serves its diverse user communities by providing products and services that are objective, timely, accurate, and relevant. OTSP provides IT support to all aspects of BLS data development initiatives.
- This position is at its full performance level.
- This position is outside the bargaining unit.
- A writing sample may be required at time of interview.
- This announcement may be used to fill additional like vacancies.
- This position will not be filled until the Department's Placement Assistance Programs have been fully utilized.
- Applications for this announcement will be accepted online only by clicking the "Apply Online" button.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
1. Responsible for developing concurrently one or more applications through all phases of the DOL System Development Life Cycle, including the inception, elaboration, development and transition to production. As IT Project Manager, the incumbent:
• Directs subordinates in the operation, maintenance, and disposition phase of existing systems.
• Works with program officials to identify information systems requirements.
• Develops project plans, project schedules, resource estimates and cost estimates.
• Ensures that projects stay within the project agreement for scope, schedule, and budget goals and identifies and implements changes to meet those goals.
• Ensures the coordination of project activities with Project Team Members, and other Project Teams, as appropriate.
• Plans, coordinates and evaluates the programs and activities of the team. Supports and coordinates the activities of staff assigned to work on projects.
2. Supervise IT Specialists and other staff who represent various specialties and is responsible for the allocation of resources and assignment of work in order to accomplish the BLS mission in accord with priorities that have been agreed upon with the Division Chief, other Project Managers, senior IT executives, and Program Managers. Establish performance goals, assign work, evaluate employee performance, provide technical and managerial direction to subordinate staff, approve leave requests, and recommend promotions and awards. Request procurement actions, and monitor labor hour task orders.
3. As a senior technical expert, provide technical advice, guidance, and recommendations to management and other technical specialists on critical IT issues. Apply new technological developments to previously unsolvable problems and makes decisions or recommendations that significantly influence important agency IT policies or programs.
4. Supervise software development life-cycle teams whose work includes the development of new processing systems and the operation and maintenance of production systems. The efforts require iterative development methods and workflows including Project Management, Requirements, Analysis & Design, Implementation, Test, Deployment, Environment, and Configuration & Change Management. The incumbent resolves critical issues affecting the configuration of the IT infrastructure; ensures that applications are optimized for state-of-the-art technology and functionality; identifies resource requirements; assigns tasks to project members; develops plans; and reports progress, which can include coordinating the demonstration of new and enhanced applications to customers and management.
5. Initiate and manage the investigation and evaluation for the selection of tools and methods for improving productivity and software quality throughout the life cycle. Manage the assessment of the feasibility of adopting new software technologies within the current systems environment and ensures the use of best practices by software development staff.
6. Make major contributions to Program and Project Office-wide initiatives and policy decisions to improve IT methodology, system operations, and organization effectiveness. Integrate complex information from multiple sources in order to provide the most complete, pertinent and efficient responses to internal and external queries; coordinate multiple, high-level resources to best meet the needs of division and program customers and stakeholders; and participate in senior BLS and DOL teams and committees.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. Citizens; ICTAP and CTAP eligibles in the local commuting area.
Also being advertised as Vacancy Announcement# MS-16-BLS-OT-051 for status applicants and Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) applicants. To be considered for each, apply to BOTH jobs.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/426344900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.