This job opportunity announcement has been amended to extend the closing date to Friday, February 12, 2016.Learn more about this agency
Applicants wishing to apply for a Federal Temporary, IPA or VSEE Appointment should see Job Announcement OCE-2016-0003.
The NSF is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Program Director in the Marine Geology and Geophysics Program in the Division of Ocean Sciences (OCE), Directorate for Geosciences (GEO) in Arlington, VA. The Marine Geology and Geophysics Program aims to strengthen long-term oversight of marine geophysical research and community development and to optimize planning and use of its related infrastructure. The successful applicant will join a team of Program Directors that work together to support research across the range of disciplines represented in the Program.
The Marine Geology and Geophysics Program supports research in all aspects of the geology and geophysics of the ocean basins, seafloor, subseafloor, and continental margins as well as that of the Great Lakes. The successful candidate will manage a portfolio of research in marine geophysics, including research relating to: the structure and tectonic evolution of the oceanic lithosphere and its associated volcanic, magmatic, hydrothermal, and earthquake activity; the tectonics and morphology of the seafloor and the geodynamic processes that create it; and subseafloor fluid flow that controls the exchange of heat and chemical species between seawater, abyssal ecosystems, and ocean crust. These topics will be balanced within the broader Marine Geology and Geophysics Program purview, which includes: the genesis, evolution, deposition, erosion, and transport of sediments in ocean basins and on the continental shelves; and past ocean states and associated climates derived from marine archives.
The OCE Division supports basic research and education to further understanding of all aspects of the global oceans and their interactions with the earth and the atmosphere.
More information about OCE and Marine Geology and Geophysics and its programs can be found at http://www.geo.nsf.gov/oce.
The individual selected for this position will serve as a Program Director. Duties of this position include:
- Working as part of the Marine Geology and Geophysics team to manage an externally reviewed proposal-driven grants program, allocate resources to meet a spectrum of program goals, and participate in Division, Directorate, and Agency interdisciplinary programs and activities that require an understanding science and scientific impacts across various fields in the geosciences.
- Managing program resources in a manner that ensures integrity and consistency in the merit review, cooperative agreement, and grant/declination process.
- Maintaining a healthy balance of support for the needs of the US academic research and education enterprise through Program, Division, Directorate, Foundation, and/or interagency activities.
- Overseeing NSF-funded marine geophysical infrastructure and marine geoscience data centers, and coordinating with the Division of Ocean Sciences facilities group to facilitate access to marine seismic facilities (e.g., the Ocean Bottom Seismograph Instrument Pool and 2D/3D seismic data acquisition platforms), as the Division of Ocean Sciences continues to implement community recommendations (e.g., the National Academy of Sciences report Sea Change: Decadal Survey of Ocean Sciences 2015-2025).
- Establishing contacts and maintaining active involvement with Marine Geology and Geophysics communities and maintaining familiarity with current marine geophysical and broader marine geological research.
- Serving as the primary Program contact for issues and questions related to marine geophysics.
- Pursuing individual research as workload and travel funds permit.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from US Citizens. Recent changes in Federal Appropriations Law require Non-Citizens to meet certain eligibility criteria to be considered. Therefore, Non-Citizens must certify eligibility by signing and attaching this Citizenship Affidavit to their application. Non-citizens who do not provide the affidavit at the time of application will not be considered.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/423526200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.