Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
WHO MAY APPLY: Open to all United States citizens
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), various locations throughout United States.
The FDA's Office of Regulatory Affairs is the lead office for all FDA Field activities as well as providing leadership on imports, inspections, and enforcement policy. ORA supports FDA Product Centers by inspecting regulated products and manufacturers, conducting sample analysis on regulated products, and reviewing imported products offered for entry into the United States. ORA also develops FDA-wide policy on compliance.
The salary listed in the vacancy announcement is at the base level. The geographical locality pay will be determined upon selection.
At the GS-05 (Trainee), major duties include:
The employee, in a trainee capacity, accompanies experienced investigators with gradually lessening supervision in the inspection of plants, employing a variety of manufacturing process and utilizing typical equipment.
Inspects for sanitation and other purposes in situations where the applicable laws are clear and well defined by precedent interpretation.
- Collects samples of food, drugs, cosmetics and/or hazardous substances.
Examines company records to document evidence of interstate origin.
- Prepares written reports showing results of inspections and investigations.
Performs special investigations under instructions (e.g., tracking reports of contamination and collecting appropriate of samples of laboratory examination).
At the GS-07 (Trainee), major duties include:
The employee, in an advance trainee capacity, independently carries out the more common and ordinary inspectional assignments.
Collects samples and conduct field analyses involving weighing and measuring physical samples.
- Accompanies senior Consumer Safety Officers in the conduct of more complex inspections and investigations.
- Independently investigates routine consumer complaints.
- Writes clear and concise reports showing results of the inspections/investigations and submits to higher-graded investigators or supervisor for review and evaluation.
- May testify in court regarding conditions of the manufactures and circumstances surrounding samples incumbent has collected.
- 50% or Greater
- Domestic and/or International