OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program. The program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore Federal careers while still in school. The Internship provides manager's a ready source of student employees and potential permanent employees upon completion of the program requirements. It also provides the student with work experience directly related to the curriculum studies or career goals while offering eligibility for non-competitive conversion to permanent employment upon completion. For more information on Internship opportunities within the Department of Veterans Affairs, please visit http://MyCareeratVA.va.gov/CareerPath/Internships.
This opportunity is open to current degree or certificate seeking students at a qualifying educational institution OR to students that have been admitted/accepted for enrollment at a qualifying education institution. You will be required to provide documentation to support your eligibility. See the "How to Apply" section for details.
NOTE: You must maintain student eligibility and enrollment for the duration of the internship. If you cannot, you are ineligible for this program. Please review the "REQUIREMENTS" section of this vacancy announcement to ensure that you qualify for this internship.
For more information on the Who may apply eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document at http://www.va.gov/OHRM/JobListings/Status-Candidate-and-Other-Candidate-Definitions.pdf.Learn more about this agency
This is a reannouncement of NQ-15-ERS-1471302. Those who previously applied will need to reapply if your wish to receive consideration.
The purpose of this position is to provide a learning opportunity for a student enrolled in a field of study to enhance their future goals and improve their knowledge with work experience in a working environment. This also provides the Service with administrative support in the area of research.
This position is assigned to the Research Service, San Francisco VA Medical Center, San Francisco, CA.
The intended duration of the internship is 3 months, however may be extended.
- Performs administrative and clerical support functions for supervisor and staff.
- Uses knowledge of organizations mission and functions to direct callers to appropriate person.
- Utilizes a variety of automation software to facilitate various activities and support functional managers, as required.
- Independently accomplishes appropriate administrative requirements.
- Receives visitors and callers to the organization involving inquiries concerning a variety of substantive administrative and/or technical issues. Determines the nature of inquiry, and based on a knowledge of the organizations activities and administrative requirements, refers visitor or caller to appropriate staff person, takes messages, schedules appointments or personally handles as appropriate. Possesses sufficient knowledge of the organizations activities to expeditiously and properly forward inquiries.
- Maintains supervisors calendar and schedules appointments.
- Assures proper preparation and timely distribution of correspondence and reports.
- Receives and distributes mail to appropriate persons based on addressee or subject matter.
- Personally responds to routine administrative and non-technical requests when possible.
- Makes travel accommodations as required.
- Assures proper establishment and maintenance of subject matter and administrative files.
- Maintains employee records for supervisor, posting changes as necessary.
Work Schedule: Multiple full-time and part-time schedules are available. Details will be discussed during interview.
Position Description Title/PD#: 08687TA
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Student/Internship Program Eligibles
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/414281100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.