This is an excepted service appointment under the Pathways Intern Program. After successful completion of the program requirements, the Intern may at agency discretion be converted to a Term or permanent appointment.
To be eligible for consideration for this position ALL of the following requirements must be met:
- The Pathways Intern Program requires that you be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) seeking student in an accredited high school or State approved home school, technical or vocational school, 2 or 4-years college or university, or graduate or professional school, with at least half-time course load. You must also meet qualifications for this position and grade (see Qualifications Section)
- You must meet student eligibility for the duration of the appointment. Students that graduated this spring and not continuing in another degree seeking program are NOT eligible.
- Transcript and proof of current student status is required with your application. Official transcript and proof of summer and/or fall enrollment will be required before appointment.
- You must have at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average. This must be verifiable by the transcripts you submit with your application.
- You must be a US Citizen and at least 16 years of age.
- If selected, you must successfully complete a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identify and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. A background investigation may also be necessary depending on the length of your appointment.
Learn more about this agency
This position is located in the Office of the General Counsel (OGC). The incumbent serves as a Student Trainee under the Pathways Intern Program performing a variety of developmental assignments designed to provide a practical understanding of the programs, policies, and objectives of the agency as well as furnish experience in the application of principles, procedures, and work techniques pertinent to assigned specialized subject-matter fields of work.
As a Student Trainee (Paralegal), the incumbent provides a variety of legal assistance and administrative duties to support the operations of OGC that require a technical proficiency and familiarity with legal services. Duties include the following:
- Maintains and updates accurate case files for attorneys, automated computer tracking system for all legal files/documents as needed, and assemble exhibits for affidavits and other legal documents.;
- Perform data entry and research from databases; locates and retrieves materials from the law library;
- Proofreads and edits correspondence, legal documents and forms;
- Sets up, revises, or refuses appointments and arranges for representation by a subordinate official when necessary;
- Receives and screens all incoming calls and visitors to the office, answering most questions and completing most business involving established policy or routine matters without referring these inquiries to the General Counsel; and
- Organizes and arranges meetings and conferences, including space, participants, and time, orders office supplies and arranges travel for attorneys.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Students who are currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution in a certificate, degree, or diploma program.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/410605700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.