About the Agency
Earth Day is every day at EPA! Come help us protect the environment! Our diverse workforce connects to more than just a career-we share a common passion to promote a cleaner, healthier environment. Discover how exciting safeguarding our natural resources and protecting human health can be. We consistently rank as one of the top Federal agencies in which to work, with great benefits and work flexibilities. Find yourself at EPA. See more about us here: http://www.epa.gov.
EXCEPT UNDER SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES, A NEW GS EMPLOYEE WILL BE HIRED AT STEP ONE OF THE APPLICABLE GS GRADE.
These positions are located in the Water Division, Water Quality Branch, Standards Section in Chicago, IL.
For more information on this office, visit their website: www.epa.gov/region5.
At the entry level of this position, you will:
- Review and analyze technical and/or administrative issues in order to implement the water quality standards program under section 303(c) of the Clean Water Act.
- Review and implement environmental standards, guidelines, policies, and formal regulations. Review program guidance/regulations and provides comments in support of regulatory actions promulgated by the agency in a program or policy area.
- Provide advice, guidance, and consultation to state, local and/or tribal governments on matters relating to the development, execution, and monitoring of adequate environmental protection policies, plans, and programs.
- Prepare reports defining results of analyses, stating results and making recommendations as appropriate. Communicate effectively and works cooperatively with colleagues, agency management and other contacts outside the agency to gain information and corroboration on findings. Write study proposals, project plans, scientific and technical papers, publications, etc.
- Serve as a water quality standards coordinator for one or more states and/or tribes and as a scientific contact for the development of designated uses, water quality criteria and anti degradation policies consistent with Federal regulations. Provide technical support on implementation of standard.
- Analyze scientific, legal, environmental protection, and/or environmental management issues. Provide technical assistance regarding data review, quality assurance and sampling techniques to Regional staff, state and local agencies, private industry, and the general public. Prepares reports defining results of analyses, stating results and making recommendations as appropriate.
When entering a Federal job at a grade level lower than the highest promotion potential level, you may be promoted to more complex duties and work more independently, as your career progresses.
You will spend less than 25% of your work time on contracts, grants/cooperative agreements, and/or interagency agreements.