About the Agency
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Evaluator in the Office of the Director (OD), Office of Integrative Activities (OIA), Evaluation and Assessment Capability (EAC) Section, Arlington, VA.
The EAC Section will coordinate the development of decision-support tools that use portfolio data to inform results and will engage those involved in research programs in a range of evaluation activities. Continuous portfolio analysis to assess the diversity and nature of NSF’s portfolio of investments and rigorous evaluation of the outcomes associated with those investments over time will be used to inform programmatic decision making. These actions will allow NSF to more consistently evaluate the impacts of its investments, to make more data-driven decisions, and to establish a culture of evidence-based planning and policy-making.
More information about OIA and its sections can be found at http://www.nsf.gov/dir/index.jsp?org=IIA.
The individual selected for this position will serve as an Associate Evaluator who will utilize his/her professional knowledge and education in a science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) related field to:
- Assist in the design of evaluations of complex research and science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs, policies and cross-cutting themes.
- Support effectively evaluations conducted by NSF staff and/or consultants/contractors, including the completion and dissemination of final reports.
- Analyze administrative data and conduct requested special analyses of major STEM issues.
- Support the use of emerging text mining and visualization tools for transparency and accountability tasks.
- Support the use innovative methods to determine policy impact based on research and evaluation findings.
- Assist in ensuring that up-to-date evaluation techniques and approaches are applied, such as ensuring continuous methodological improvement of and support to evaluation activities, outcome monitoring and the relationship with business intelligence and portfolio analysis systems.
- Keep abreast of developments in the area of evaluation as well as contributing to the development and review of policies, guidance, systems, procedures and tools related to evaluation.
The individual selected for this position will assist in ensuring that evaluations are useful and that evaluation findings and recommendations are understood and assimilated by the program officers through:
- Participating in the preparation of briefings and reports to program management and senior leadership on findings, recommendations and lessons learned of strategic importance.
- Coordinate meetings, workshops and other discussion forums to establish a dialogue on evaluation results (recommendations/ lessons learned).
- Assist in designing and implementing an Evaluation Capacity Development training program for NSF Program Directors.