* The list of arms embargoed destinations inLearn more about this agency
is drawn from 22 CFR §126.1 and State Department Federal Register notices related to arms
embargoes (compiled at http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/embargoed_countries/index.html)
Selection for this position will be made at either the grade 12 or 13. If selection is made at the grade 12, the selectee may be non-competitively promoted to the grade 13 upon recommendation of the Professional Accomplishments Evaluation Committee (PAEC).
The Chandra X-ray Center (CXC) serves the Chandra X-ray Observatory and is operated by SAO under contract with NASA. The mission has been in operation since July 1999.
The incumbent will work in the Chandra Director’s Office (CDO). The CDO has primary responsibility for selecting the science program for Chandra, including organization of the Peer review, the annual Call for Proposals and all associated documentation and software. In addition, the CDO interfaces with the Chandra user community via the Chandra Users Committee, the CXC website, social media, the Newsletter and science Workshops.
- Work with the CXC Director to organize Chandra Science Symposia. Work with the CXC Director and other CXC staff to identify Symposia science themes, recruit the Science Organizing Committee and publicize the Symposium to the science community (via a website, social media, bulletins etc.). Chair the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) and interface with administrative staff.
- Assume overall responsibility for the CXC Newsletter. Work with the CXC Director and other CXC staff to solicit suitable articles from scientists within and outside of SAO. Review submitted material for appropriateness and technical accuracy and work with technical and admin staff to produce the Newsletter in a variety of formats (electronic and print).
- Work with CXC science and programming staff to develop and test software for the Call for Proposals and Peer Review. Interface with representatives from other facilities to enable joint observing proposals. Organize panels for the Chandra Peer Review and attend the Peer Review.
- Work with the Archive Group and the Astrophysics Data System to compile and analyze Chandra statistics including publications, citations, and other metrics pertaining to Chandra productivity. Prepare reports for the CXC Director.
- Formulate and conduct independent research in x-ray astronomy using both numerical and observational data from space and ground-based observations and archival observations. Develop hypotheses, determine the most fruitful investigations, formulate research plans and observations, and analyze and interpret data.
- Participate in scholarly activities by disseminating scientific results through contributed presentations at colloquia, workshops and conferences, and submitting papers to scholarly journals, conference proceedings, books, or preparing technical reports or engaging in educational and public outreach projects.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…This position is open to all qualified candidates. Employment is dependent upon the ability to obtain export license approval. Note: Countries subject to U.S. arms embargoes are identified by the State
Department through notices published in the Federal Register. *
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/406584300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.