About the Agency
Earth Day is every day at EPA! Come help us protect the environment! Our diverse workforce connects to more than just a career-we share a common passion to promote a cleaner, healthier environment. Discover how exciting safeguarding our natural resources and protecting human health can be. We consistently rank as one of the top Federal agencies in which to work, with great benefits and work flexibilities. Find yourself at EPA. See more about us here: http://www.epa.gov.
Region 5's Mission:
- Protect human health and preserve natural resources;
- Prevent and abate pollution to improve the environment;
- Serve the public with education, innovation, action and results; leads the way in restoring and protecting the Great Lakes and all Midwestern ecosystems.
For additional information, please refer to the following website: http://www.epa.gov/region5.
This position is located in Region 5, Land & Chemicals Division, Chemicals Management Branch, Pesticides & Toxics Compliance Section in Chicago, IL.
At the entry level of this position, you will:
- Provide written reviews and summaries of Agency policies and procedures to the Section Chief relative to the Regional Pesticides and Toxics Enforcement Strategy. This will include the research of appropriate professional and scientific literature including Federal and State regulations and environmental policies required to best meet the objectives of the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and/or the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act - Section 313 (EPCRA 313) regulatory enforcement programs.
- Work on major comprehensive environmental contamination investigation projects that are discovered in Region 5 States. Provide to the incident team or multi-media investigation team, environmental assessments of the situation, and determinations/ options for corrective actions, ensuring that proper scientific and technical analyses are made when required, and proposes options for proper regulatory/technical steps to meet EPA regulatory requirements.
- Provide technical compliance assistance to Federal, State, Tribal, and facility representatives on matters concerning TSCA, FIFRA, and EPCRA Section 313 activities.
- Recommend appropriate corrective actions when applicable to comply with Agency policy. Provides guidance, support, and oversight of compliance monitoring and enforcement activities undertaken by state, local and/or tribal government.
- Conduct presentations to various groups on the new and cutting-edge subjects relating to pesticides and toxic chemical materials, their effects on the environment and public health, and EPA policies and regulations to protect the environment and public health.
You will spend less than 25% of your work time on contracts, grants/cooperative agreements, and/or interagency agreements.
When entering a Federal job at a grade level lower than the highest promotion potential level, you may be promoted to more complex duties and work more independently, as your career progresses.