This announcement will be used to fill vacancies through OPM-authorized Direct Hire Authority due to a Critical Hiring Need. Veterans preference, and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply. For more information on OPM's authorization of Direct Hire Authority, please visit https://www.opm.gov/directhire/index.aspLearn more about this agency
This position is located in the Department of Commerce (Department) Office of Inspector General (OIG), Office of Chief Information Technology (OCIO). The OCIO provides services to support OIG mission and activities focusing exclusively on systems, issues, policies and programs involving computer hardware and software, telecommunications systems, and computer security. The incumbent serves as a team member in the area of information security for the OCIO. Primary responsibility includes reviewing and evaluating the agency’s activities to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data. Provides guidance to the System Owner on implementing Information Security and develops and maintains security documentation.
Our mission is to improve the programs and operations of the Department of Commerce through independent and objective oversight. With so many focuses, OIG is a magnet for professionals of all interests and backgrounds.
This position is in the competitive service.
One year probationary period may be required.
Relocation expenses WILL NOT be paid.
This is a non-bargaining unit position.
The Full Promotion Potential of this position is: GS-13.
If this position is filled at a level below the full performance level, the selectee may be promoted without further competition. This implies no promise or guarantee of a promotion.
The individual selected for this position will:
- Major Duty 1 - Conducts continuous monitoring of multiple security technologies such as intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), syslog, file integrity, vulnerability scanners, and correlates and analyzes events.
- Major Duty 2 - Identify threats and risks, design and implement security controls. Configures and deploys Network/Application/Host based Firewalls, IDPS.
- Major Duty 3 - Provides technical and administrative leadership on group projects and provides timely feedback to senior management on issues or problems that require attention.
- Major Duty 4 - Participates in short and long-range planning for information systems and computer security program activities. Develops plans and projects for information security systems that anticipate, identify, eliminate, and prevent information system vulnerabilities; develop a security incident response policy; and, provides leadership for the implementation of an intrusion detection and prevention program designed to anticipate and eliminate system vulnerabilities.
- Major Duty 5 - Tests new systems compatibility to enable application optimizations system monitoring and analysis, low-level programming and design of more complex features using best practices for development and ensuring effective application across the enterprise
- Major Duty 6 - Keeps abreast of new and emerging information technologies and industry trends and actively participates in interagency/professional groups. Conducts training for management and staff on information security policies and procedures.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified United States citizens.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/404905900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.