OIG is organized into three line elements: the Offices of Investigations, Audits and Evaluations, and Healthcare Inspections; along with the Office of Contract Review and the Office of Management and Administration. In addition to the Washington, DC, headquarters, OIG has offices located in more than 30 cities throughout the country.Learn more about this agency
The Information Technology (IT) Specialist (Security), located in the Office of Audits and Evaluations (OAE), is responsible for planning and conducting IT and security audits of VA programs, functions, and operations.
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-13. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Conducts a broad range of performance audits in the area of IT Security, and resolves issues where governing laws and regulations are highly interpretive and/or precedents are nonexistent, obscure, or conflicting.
- Identifies the required audit coverage to accomplish objectives, and assists in the planning and coordination of team members who may be located in several geographic areas during an audit project.
- Develops policies and procedures to prevent unauthorized access to systems, and promotes awareness of security issues among management to ensure sound security principles are reflected in the organizations' goals.
- Conducts risk and vulnerability assessments of planned and installed information systems to identify protection needs, reviews systems security plans, and conducts systems security reviews.
- Assesses security events to determine impact and implements corrective actions and ensures the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of all IT services.
25% or less - Frequently travel nationwide under tight deadlines. The incumbent should anticipate frequent walking and standing as a component of this travel.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…U.S. citizens; no prior Federal experience is required.
This opportunity is also open to Status eligibles under Announcement 15-VAOIG-232. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/400153900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.