You too can make a difference in our world. The work of the US Fish and Wildlife Service is meaningful and varied. Want to know more about what it is like to work for us? Click here to watch short podcasts called Meet Your New Boss! and Diversity is our Strength.
As a Student Trainee (Biological Sciences) with the Idaho fish Health Center, located in Orofino, Idaho, you will be provided training to provide technical support to fish biologists by performing routine assignments involving repetitive tasks and will learn how to perform technical tasks common to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Annual salary-Employees new to the federal government begin at step 1.
GS-3, step 1 $25,434 - step 10 $33,068
For more information on the Federal Governments Pathways Internship Program, view the following link:http://www.opm.gov/HiringReform/Pathways/program/interns/
Eligibility for the Pathways Internship Program:
You must be accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which you are enrolled); or an awardee of the Harry S. Truman Foundation Scholarship Program under Public Law 93842.
- Online degree programs and online courses are creditable towards meeting the half-time enrollment requirement.
- For a certificate program to be eligible under Pathways, it must be equivalent to at least one academic year of study.
- You do not need to be enrolled at least half-time during the summer months if you are enrolled for courses in the upcoming fall term/semester on at least a half-time basis.
- The requirement to be enrolled at least half-time is waived if you are in your final term/semester immediately preceding graduation, and you require less than a half-time academic course load to complete your degree requirements.
Qualifying Educational Institution means:
(1) A public high school whose curriculum has been approved by a State or local governing body, a private school that provides secondary education as determined under State law, or a homeschool that is allowed to operate in a State; and
(2) Any of the following educational institutions or curricula that have been accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education: (i) A technical or vocational school; (ii) A 2-year or 4-year college or university; (iii) A graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or (iv) A post-secondary homeschool curriculum.
Work Schedule: A formal work schedule will be arranged, so that your work responsibilities do not interfere with your academic schedule including adjusting the work schedule from full-time to part-time, as necessary.
Assists in various field sampling projects, i.e., fish collection by electro-shocking and other capture methods; the necropsy of fish in the field for wild fish surveys; capture and necropsy of fish at hatcheries.
Performs basic scientific measurements and basic math calculations to collect, assemble or tabulate information; prepares basic laboratory samples for fish pathogen laboratory assays; prepares laboratory glassware, media, and reagents; assists in minor maintenance in building, on grounds, or equipment requiring no special skills.
Enters data into computer ensuring data is accurate and complete, conducts inventory of laboratory supplies.