The Navy and Marine Corps team offers innovative, exciting and meaningful work linking military and civilian talents to achieve our mission and safeguard our freedoms. Department of the Navy provides competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, and extensive professional development and training. From pipefitters to accountants, scientists to engineers, doctors to nurses-the careers and opportunities to make a difference are endless. Civilian careers-where purpose and patriotism unite!
The Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Virginia is one of the largest shipyards in the world specializing in repairing, overhauling and modernizing ships and submarines. It is the oldest and largest industrial facility that belongs to the U.S. Navy and is also the most multifaceted.
This job announcement will be used establish and maintain a standing register that will be used to fill vacancies on an as-needed basis at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard for six months. Cut-off dates will be established as needed.
As mandated in the Production Resource Department memorandum 900-003-14 dated 27 January 2014: This position requires the incumbent to provide personal basic hand tools applicable to their trade.
Applicants applying under this announcement will be considered for full-time and/or seasonal (on-call) career/career-conditional employment.
· Constructs, modifies, repairs and outfits wood and plastic boats up to 100 feet in length, except tug boats and barges.
· Uses molds and templates to mill various components such as stems, keels, engine foundations, planking, cabin sides, center work, frames planking, deck houses and interior trim.
· Fabricates canopies, rudders, battery boxes, brackets and shelves for mounting electronic and navigational equipment, etc.
· Installs and assists in installing and outfitting components such as propulsion engines, auxiliary engines, struts, rudders, winches, steering systems, pumps, tanks, plumbing and piping, electrical and electronic equipment.
· Prepares all wood surfaces for varnish, paint or plastic coverings.