Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service. Become a part of our mission to unite our past, our cultures and our special places, to establish important connections to the present and build a rich and lasting legacy for future generations. For more information about the National Park Service, visit http://www.nps.gov
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: All U.S. Citizens
SPECIAL HIRING AUTHORIZES CONSIDERATION: Eligible under Special Appointment Authority; Individuals who are eligible for consideration under special hiring authority (i.e., 30% compensable veterans, severely handicapped individuals, former Peace Corps and VISTA volunteers, etc.) will be accepted and considered non-competitively for this vacancy.
The duty station of this position is at Rock Creek Park, located at the Center for Urban Ecology in Washington, D.C. The incumbent serves as a team member on the Exotic Plant Management Team and performs duties as assigned by the Team Liaison or Crew Leader.
2 position available for this vacancy. Work Schedule Type : 4 days 10 hours per days (Total 40 hours per week). This position is temporary not to exceed 1 year but may be extended 1 additional year. The length of this appointment may be shortened or extended depending on work availability and funding.
- Implement invasive plant control in a wide variety of settings.
- Mix and apply herbicides.
- Operate and maintain mechanical equipment.
- Supports park personnel with invasive plant control, identification, inventory and mapping methods.
- Supports and advocates for the safety of the team and park employees as well as ensuring that all members follow established program protocols.
- Supports storage and safe operation and use of pesticides, chain saws, personal protective equipment and other equipment as required.
- Supports on-the-job training for team and park personnel in the areas of inventory and mapping and operational control of invasive plants.
- Supports native plant restoration work including seedbed preparation, planting and initial maintenance.
- Conducts resource monitoring programs
- Lead invasive plant control efforts with direction from the supervisor.
- Occasional Travel
- Some overnight travel may be required