Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service. Become a part of our mission to unite our past, our cultures and our special places, to establish important connections to the present and build a rich and lasting legacy for future generations. For more information about the National Park Service, visit http://www.nps.gov
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: All U.S. Citizens
SPECIAL HIRING AUTHORIZES CONSIDERATION: Eligible under Special Appointment Authority; Individuals who are eligible for consideration under special hiring authority (i.e., 30% compensable veterans, severely handicapped individuals, former Peace Corps and VISTA volunteers, etc.) will be accepted and considered non-competitively for this vacancy.
The duty station of this position is at Rock Creek Park, located at the Center for Urban Ecology in Washington, D.C. The incumbent serves as a team member on the Exotic Plant Management Team and performs duties as assigned by the Team Liaison or Crew Leader.
There will be MULTIPLE positions for this vacancy. Work Schedule Type : 4 days 10 hours per days (Total 40 hours per week). This position is temporary not to exceed 1 year but may be extended 1 additional year. The length of this appointment may be shortened or extended depending on work availability and funding.
- Implement invasive plant control in a wide variety of settings.
- Mix and apply herbicides.
- Operate and maintain mechanical equipment.
- Supports park personnel with invasive plant control, identification, inventory and mapping methods.
- Supports and advocates for the safety of the team and park employees as well as ensuring that all members follow established program protocols.
- Supports storage and safe operation and use of pesticides, chain saws, personal protective equipment and other equipment as required.
- Supports on-the-job training for team and park personnel in the areas of inventory and mapping and operational control of invasive plants.
- Supports native plant restoration work including seedbed preparation, planting and initial maintenance.
- Conducts resource monitoring programs
- Occasional Travel
- Some overnight travel may be required