QUALIFICATIONS: Eligibility will be based upon a clear showing the applicant has training, education and experience of the scope and quality sufficient to effectively carry-out the duties of the position. Candidates must exemplify the corporate perspective, leadership vision, broad experience and character needed in the SES corps not only to satisfy the immediate vacancy, but future vacancies which will occur in a variety of organizations, functions and locations.
A. MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs): A supplemental statement must be submitted separately addressing each TQ. TQs must provide specific examples that address relevant experience and accomplishments. Applicants must reflect superior technical qualifications demonstrated through leadership and management in the following:
(1) Strategy, vision and concept development, implementation and wargaming, to include theories, principles, and practices and how they apply to joint warfighting and national defense strategy in at least one of the following areas: air, space, and/or cyber.
(2) Integrating planning activities within large organizations, to include developing and implementing effective teaming concepts and relationships that support an overall capabilities-based planning system.
(3) Strategic master plan or corporate planning development, resource allocation processes, programming processes and the assessment of results.
C. MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs): The ECQs describe the leadership skills needed to succeed as an SES; they also reinforce the concept of an "SES corporate culture." Submit a supplemental statement of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs listed below) in the challenge/context/action/result (C-C-A-R) model format as provided by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Guide to SES Qualifications. ECQs should focus on relevant and recent experience, education and training accomplishments within the last 10 years. Refer to the OPM Guide to SES Qualifications for specific information and guidance on the ECQ requirements, the C-C-A-R model, and examples of good qualifications statements at the website: http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf.
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE. This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE. This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN. This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems and calculating risks.
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN. This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial and information resources strategically.
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS. This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
In addition, DoD requires an Enterprise Perspective. The individual must possess a broad point of view and an awareness and understanding of individual or organizational responsibilities in relation to DoD or government-wide strategic priorities. Executives should demonstrate ability to work with internal and external partners to support national security objectives. This perspective is typically gained through a variety of diverse work experiences. A separate narrative statement is not required--this information should be embedded within the application package (Resume, Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications).
D. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: The following will be used to help rate and rank candidates:
(1) Regardless of governmental agency or department, a career broadening assignment complementary of this position is highly desirable (Examples: plans and programs, financial management, contracting, program management or logistics, etc.).
(2) Mix of experience at the following: Major Command (MAJCOM), Combatant Command (COCOM) Service Component, Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), Joint Staff, Headquarters Air Force (HAF), other Federal agency or equivalent academic/industry experience.
(3) Completion of Senior Developmental Education and/or equivalent executive development such as Leadership in a Democratic Society, Senior Executive Fellows, National Security Management, Leadership Assessment & Feedback Seminar, Executive Business Management, and/or two equivalent-level executive courses from other colleges, universities, or agencies. (4) An advanced degree in international affairs, national security or related field is highly desirable.