About the Agency
The Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) is looking for people who want to work to improve foreign market access for U.S. products. FAS operates programs designed to build new markets and improve the competitive position of U.S. agriculture in the global marketplace.
This is an excepted service, time-limited, term appointment for up to 5 years, with the possibility of renewals.
As the Climate Smart Agriculture Advisor, the incumbent will be assigned to the Economic Growth, Environment and Agriculture (EGEA) team in the U.S. Agency for International Development's (USAID) Bureau for Africa. The incumbent will serve as the EGEA team's senior technical and policy advisor on all matters of climate change and its interface with the agriculture sector.
The employee will serve as a senior advisor providing technical backstopping and intellectual leadership to the agency on activities pertaining to efforts to strengthen agriculture and climate change worldwide. In this capacity, s/he will perform the following major, though not all inclusive, duties:
- Provides expertise to USAID’s regional and central bureaus, host-country governments, private voluntary organizations (PVOs) and Missions in designing, implementing, evaluating, and monitoring policies, strategies, and programs involving agriculture and climate change issues.
- Provides technical and managerial guidance for research and analysis of issues related to agriculture and climate change. Coordinates incorporation of research and analysis findings into implementable interventions involving promoting new and innovative strategies for agriculture and climate change programs worldwide. Serves as technical liaison with other US Government agencies, donor organizations, multilateral banks, PVOs, U.S. universities, and professional organizations to coordinate their efforts with USAID programs, policies, and approaches relating to agriculture and climate change;
- Analyzes, formulates, and develops ideas, concepts, and methodology for policies, procedures, and systems for designing, implementing and evaluating programs worldwide. Identifies best practices and develops alternative concepts and techniques for use in a variety of situations ;
- Collaborates with Agency, government agencies, and development partners to identify agricultural and climate change issues and constraints that can be overcome by policy, legislative, or other initiatives. Provides recommendations on measures that provide co-benefits in terms of reducing emissions and increasing resilience of farming. Prepares briefing materials and provides materials on successful programs, good practice recommendations, and analytical reports on agriculture and climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies, policies and programs.
- Plans, develops, and implements program/project development activities that affect broad Mission areas. Advises office, bureau, and/or Mission staff on a variety of measures that strengthen the ability of developing countries to stimulate agricultural production and productivity in the face of climate change. Provides programmatic backstopping and management on high visibility projects, consulting with professionals in various sectors. Advises head of operational unit on key issues/constraints to mitigation and adaptation to climate change as a part of program/project development;
- Participates in geographic and/or central bureau review of agriculture and climate change activities, policy, and technical input. Assists developing country partners and Missions in carrying out analysis, feasibility studies, and project design proposals. Leads the design and development of climate change activities;
- Oversees the preparation of project papers, project agreements, project authorizations, congressional notifications, and implementation letters related to agriculture and climate change activities. Initiates or coordinates evaluation of climate change activities;
- Designs and/or manages the development of bureau and/or Mission specific strategic objectives (SOs) involving agriculture, climate change and food security, identifying actions related to program/project implementation, monitoring, and evaluating activities under established and/or proposed SOs;
- Assists regional and/or central bureaus in advancing state-of-the-art agricultural production systems and their management; and
- Designs and participates in broad assessments, program developments, and reviews of performance management systems.
- 25% or Greater
- Overseas travel to under-developed areas required