About the Agency
This position is located in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS), Office of Satellite and Product Operations (OSPO), Satellite and Products Division (SPSD), Satellite Products Branch (SPB) in College Park, MD. For more information, please click here: http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/
This position will be filled under the Department of Commerce Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan and pay band. The ZP-4 is equivalent to the GS-13/14 grade level.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NSDIS-OSPO-2014-0037, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This vacancy may be used to fill other Physical Scientist, ZP-1301-4
positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g., within the same geographical location, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
The individual selected for this position will:
- Provide technical support and oversight for the development of new GOES-R satellite-based products including tailored products and the transition of those products from research into operations.
- Provide quality assurance of operational GOES-R products, evaluating system performance and providing corrective or adaptive maintenance as required.
- Employ computer programming skills to support interactive product processing applications that often utilize multiple satellite sensor data streams, perform regression testing of new or enhanced product applications on parallel test systems (in concert with contractor support personnel).
- Develop and implement satellite product project plans that meet defined cost, schedule and capability criteria as a member of an Integrated Product Team.
- Serve as the product area lead for all legacy GOES Soundings products.
- Ensure that all GOES-R products meet the requirements of the national and international user community and participates in the routine evaluation of customer satisfaction by conducting user surveys.
- Responsible for presenting effective technical presentations to a diverse audience including senior management officials and coordinating, editing and providing input to the writing comprehensive reports and papers on pertinent technical issues.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required.