The United States Agency for International Development
USAID is an independent Federal Government agency that receives overall foreign policy guidance from the Secretary of State. With headquarters in Washington, D.C., USAID fosters transformational development around the world. Our work supports economic growth and trade; agriculture and the environment; education and training; democracy and governance; global health; global partnerships and humanitarian assistance in less developed countries and countries that are experiencing or emerging from conflict. We operate in five regions of the world: Sub-Saharan Africa; Asia; the Middle East; Latin America and the Caribbean; and Europe and Eurasia.
This Deputy Assistant Administrator (DAA) position is located in the Bureau for Africa (AFR) at USAID Headquarters in Washington, DC. The Africa Bureau comprises over 35 bilateral and regional programs with approximately $6.2 billion annually in USAID-managed budgetary resources (both program and operating expenses). The Africa Bureau implements programming under the direction of the Joint Regional Strategy, consistent with the Presidential Policy Directive for sub-Saharan Africa, that is centered on four overarching and complementary goals: Strengthening Democratic Institutions, Improving Governance, and Protecting Human Rights; Spurring Sustained Economic Growth, Trade, and Investment; Advancing Peace and Security; and Promoting Opportunity and Development. This includes support provided to the African Union, supporting implementation of Presidential Initiatives through movement of program and OE funding to the field; providing support for implementation of USAID Forward reforms, and communicating USAID's work in Africa more strategically and effectively to external audiences.
USAID employees in the Civil Service and Foreign Service, as well as individuals employed through Personal Service Contracts, must adhere to our counter Trafficking in Persons Code of Conduct and information on this effort can be found at http://www.state.gov/g/tip. For more information about USAID, visit http://www.usaid.gov
As a DAA, you will serve as a primary advisor to the Assistant Administrator, in AFR on overall policies and issues with respect to AFR's administrative, personnel and operating expenses. You will provide expert advice and guidance to Office and Mission Director's in the formulation of USAID priorities ad subsequent allocation of operational expenses and personnel resources. Other duties include:
- Serve a primary agency advisor on various programs and events
associated with the economic development with respect to Africa's resources.
- Responsible for the direction and management of large-scale agency programs and operations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with various high-level individuals, including members of Congress, executives from other legislative and executive agencies, major corporations, and distinguished members of the public.
- Counsel senior management staff and officials at multiple levels of USAID.
- Advise on appropriate methods and techniques to use in order to achieve program goals and objectives.
- Supervise a subordinate staff of senior managers and officials at multiple levels of USAID performing programmatic tasks.
- Serve on interagency, national, and/or international special work
groups, task forces, or expert panels on special projects or studies
critical to the resolution of far-reaching operating issues and
- Perform human resource management functions relative to the staff supervised.
- 50% or Greater
- Domestic and International Travel Required