In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-06) or equivalent. Specialized experience may have been gained while performing counseling, case file management, data collection and analysis, medical administrative coordination providing the full range of methods and means of conducting related research and associated administrative duties.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of laws, regulations, precedents, and procedures related to Medical/Physical Evaluation Boards and Veteran Administration disability rating systems, to include medical terminology and general medical abbreviations.
2. Knowledge of evaluative techniques for the identification, consideration, and resolution of issues and/or problems of a procedural or factual nature as well as the methods and means of conducting related research and summarizing results to make appropriate recommendations for improvements in processes and services provided.
3. Skill in gathering, analyzing, and evaluating information concerning established guidance and precedence affecting members benefits.
4. Ability to use a personal computer, data based systems and applicable software (e.g., disability evaluation data base, spreadsheet, word processing, etc.) to complete required forms, prepare reports, schedule appointments, track and review status of member's case, etc.
5. Ability to meet and deal with members using a high degree of tact and diplomacy when discussing sensitive issues and conveying board findings.
6. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to include when explaining options and varying provisions of benefits and entitlements programs.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. The employee may occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
2. Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military and commercial aircraft.
3. Must obtain and maintain appropriate security clearance.
4. Experience in the health care environment is desired but not required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
BASIS OF RATING:
Your application will be rated under the Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which the quality, depth, and complexity of your experience and education relate to the qualifications requirement. Additional points are not added for Veteran's Preference; however, Veteran Preference is still applied.
Category 3, Best Qualified: Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements.
Category 2, Highly Qualified: Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements.
Category 1, Qualified: Candidates in this category meet the minimum education and/or experience requirements.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire. The numeric rating you received is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully.