About the Agency
The National Weather Service (NWS) provides weather, hydrologic, climate forecasts and warnings for the United States, its territories, adjacent waters and ocean areas, for the protection of life and property and the enhancement of the national economy.
The Office of Operational System (OOS) primary mission is to manage, operate and maintain the National Weather Service (NWS) systems for the domestic and world-wide collection, exchange, and dissemination of meteorological and hydrological data for the provision of information, processing, storage and display to support NWS service operations. These systems include the NWS Telecommunications Gateway (NWSTG), the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS), the Next Generation Radar System (NEXRAD), the Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS), Buoy Networks, NOAAPORT, NOAA All-Hazards Radio, Satellite Broadcast Network (SBN), and the Centralized Automated Data Acquisition System (CADAS).
The incumbent of this position has full responsibility for establishing, managing, and providing technical direction for OOS. OOS integrates real time operational elements of Engineering, and Field Systems (including radar and buoy data). Additionally, they provide consolidated operations and systems support of interrelated NWS systems under central management and control.
Specifically, the incumbent has full responsibility for the following:
- Ensuring the development, coordination, promulgation, and maintenance of policies, plans, and procedures for the implementation, operation, and support of the NWS operational weather systems and systems interfaces.
- Providing direction to the NWS offices and regions and maintaining liaison with other national and international agencies in order to operate and maintain effectively the required meteorological and hydrological data collection, dissemination, and exchange systems of the NWS.
- Managing and operating the NOAA Weather Radio (NWR) program.
- Ensuring the analysis and evaluation of the information systems capabilities and performance and, in coordination with other offices, the development of specifications and proposals for new systems capabilities to serve current and near term NWS system needs.
- Ensuring coordinated and controlled evaluation testing and validation of all modifications and enhancements to NWS operational systems, and systems interfaces.
- Ensuring configuration management of all NWS operational systems including analysis, review, and tracking of all changes to the configuration baseline.