Science, Service, and Stewardship
The National Weather Service is a component of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). NOAA is an Operating Unit of the U.S. Department of Commerce.
Our headquarters office for the National Weather Service (NWS) is located in Silver Spring, MD with regional headquarters located in Kansas City, Mo.; Bohemia, N.Y.; Fort Worth, Texas; Salt Lake City, Utah; Anchorage, Alaska; and Honolulu, Hawaii. With some 5,000 employees in 122 weather forecast offices, 13 river forecast centers, 9 national centers, and other support offices around the country, NWS provides a national infrastructure to gather and process data worldwide. Each year, NWS collects some 76 billion observations and issues approximately 1.5 million forecasts and 50,000 warnings.
Additional vacancies may be filled through this vacancy announcement or, if they become available.
As a Senior Equipment Specialist, you will perform the following duties:
- Maintain familiarity with a wide-range of mechanical, electro mechanical and electronic equipment required to perform operational test of equipment.
- Utilize sound business practices to ensure the most economical and effective operations of the unit.
- Perform all tasks and duties as a Property Account Custodian.
- Maintain responsibility in the unit for the technical decisions and recommendations made concerning the validity and reliability for contracted services.
- Keep abreast of hazardous material handling procedures and shipping regulations.
- Communicate routinely both orally and in writing with internal personnel, management officials and contractors.
- Perform tasks and duties associated with inventory control and management.
- Support the development of documentation for purchases and services that fall under the Simplified Acquisition threshold.
Qualification requirements in vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. The handbook is available on OPM's website http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/