Job Title:Biological Science Laboratory Technician
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Agricultural Research Service
Job Announcement Number:ARS-M14W-0052
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, August 12, 2014 to
Monday, August 18, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|4 vacancies -
Lincoln, NE View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
|Q - Nonsensitive|
Find Solutions to Agricultural Problems that Affect Americans Every Day, From Field to Table.
The incumbent will serve as a Biological Science Laboratory Technician in the Grain, Forage and Bioenergy Research Unit or the Agroecosystem Management Research Unit located in Lincoln, NE. The Units missions are to improve the productivity and environmental quality of crop and livestock production systems. Research includes plant breeding and development of management practices to improve grain production and quality, to use inputs more efficiently, and to reduce pest and disease impacts.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel to field to perform research.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Suitable for Federal employment determined by a background investigation.
DUTIES:Back to top
Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Participates in one or more phases of the research process by performing a variety of complex technical duties in a laboratory, field or greenhouse environment.
- Contributes ideas towards the planning and sequencing of the technical aspects of the research.
- Collects, prepares and evaluates scientific samples and supporting records.
- Maintains inventory of chemicals for use in the laboratory, field, or greenhouse.
- Prepares solutions and reagents for use in the laboratory, field, or greenhouse.
- Safely disposes of waste material (both chemical and biological).
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement including the following specialized experience and/or education, as identified by grade level.
Time-in-grade restrictions apply for all candidates considered under merit promotion procedures and must be met by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
For more information on the qualifications for this position, click here: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-admin.asp
GS-07: Successful completion of 1 full year of graduate education; OR successful completion of one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 level. Specialized experience includes experience developing and planning assignments or experimental designs in greenhouse, laboratory or field work environments; OR an equivalent combination of successfully completed graduate-level education and experience as described as above.
GS-08: Successful completion of 1 ½ years of graduate education; OR successful completion of one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level. Specialized experience includes experience developing and planning assignments or experimental designs in greenhouse, laboratory or field work environments; OR an equivalent combination of successfully completed graduate-level education and experience as described as above.
• If you are newly hired, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS "E-VERIFY" system. Federal law requires the use of E-VERIFY to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. Under this system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- You will be evaluated based on your qualifications for this position as evidenced by the education, experience, and training you described in your application package, as well as the responses to the Occupational Questionnaire to determine the degree to which you possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies listed below:
- Attention to Detail
- Planning and Evaluation
- Technology Application
- Technical Competence
- We will review your application, including the online Occupational Questionnaire, to ensure you meet the job requirements and assess your ability to perform this job. Before any certificate can be issued to the selecting official, the resume and supporting documents are reviewed by an HR Specialist to ensure that (a) minimum qualification requirements are met and (b) the resume supports the answers provided to the job-specific questions. Your answers will be verified against information provided in your online resume and application. Be sure that your resume clearly supports your responses to all the questions addressing experience and education relevant to this position.
- Applicants who meet the basic minimum qualification requirements and are determined to be among the best qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for consideration. Non-Competitive candidates need to meet minimum qualification requirements to be referred.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be lowered to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.
The questionnaire will assess your qualifications for the job, and will be used to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. Your ratings in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Attempts to falsify information; inflate your qualifications or providing inaccurate information on federal documents may be grounds to adjust your rating or to not select you. Errors, omissions or providing inaccurate information on federal documents may affect your eligibility. If selected providing inaccurate information on federal documentscould also be grounds for dismissing you from the position/agency. Please follow all instructions carefully.
To view the application form, visit: https://ars.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=0264fb28-fade-4019-9c81-a37d00fc759f