Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for implementing the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. This law gives FDA authority over tobacco products by adding a new chapter to the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The Tobacco Control Act gives FDA the authority to regulate tobacco products and manufacturers based on the best available science and CTP is responsible for both assessing and fostering that science-base. CTP's actions have significant public health and consumer protection impact, and are among the most important issues faced by the Agency in its long and distinguished history.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), Office of Health and Communication (OHCE) in Silver Spring, MD.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CTP-14-DE-118259SL under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service; former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments; displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service; Military Spouses; PHS Commissioned Corps Officers; individuals eligible for VRA appointments (at the GS-11 and below grade levels); and individuals with disabilities.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred to (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR SF-50, TRANSCRIPTS, CTAP or COMMISSIONED CORPS DOCUMENTATION.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Manage projects and publications from inception to completion, including (if needed) management of writers, editors, and designers.
- Identify gaps and develop informational materials that help educate key audiences, including public health and other interested parties, such as regulated industry.
- Develop written products that articulate, interpret, and explain complex, potentially controversial, and important agency programs and research findings to various audiences.
- Develop write, and edit materials targeted to discrete audiences to amplify CTP's mission and key initiatives, highlighting regulatory, scientific, compliance, and public education activities.
- Identify key audiences (which may include public health organizations and the public) and gaps in communicating with those audiences, then develop materials to address those gaps.