About the Agency
Your Career Forecast is Sunny and Bright with the National Weather Service (NWS). The NWS, the world's preeminent weather and atmospheric sciences organization, offers you an opportunity to help protect American lives and property. Since 1870, NWS has served the public by providing forecasts and hazardous weather warnings while studying the most dynamic forces of nature. Contribute your talents to this tradition. NWS...Working together to save lives.
This position is located in the National Weather Service (NWS), Office of Science and Technology (OST), Meteorological Development Laboratory, Mesoscale Prediction Branch in Silver Spring, MD.
GS-9: $52,146 - $67,787
GS-11: $63,091 - $82,019
GS-12: $75,621 - $98,305
This position is also announced under vacancy number NWS-OST-2014-0023, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
- A one year probationary/trial period may be required.
- This position is in the bargaining unit.
This vacancy may be used to fill other Physical Scientist, GS-1301-9/11/12
positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g., within the same geographical location, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
The individual selected for this position will:
- Carry out research and development tasks in support of the Mesoscale Prediction Branch.
- Develop, test, and implement statistical techniques for forecasting weather.
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain software and web pages.
- Maintain archives of meteorological data.
- Monitor operations forecast products and suggest improvements.