About the Agency
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Performs preventative maintenance, minor repairs, and installations for many utility distribution systems on all Smithsonian buildings within the zone in the metropolitan Washington, DC area.
- Installs, modifies, and repairs new and existing utility, supply, and disposal systems and equipment such as sewage, water, oil and gas distribution systems, water closets, tubs, fire sprinkler systems, and showers.
- Uses materials (such as aluminum, copper, iron, nylon, lead, vinyl, PVC, and rubber) requiring a knowledge of their resistance to heat and acids, their strength and resiliency, and how to connect tubing made of different materials by using special fittings such as nylon to connect plastic and metal tubing.
- Performs or assists with ACM/ACBM operation projects including but not limited to containment, enclosure, encapsulation, and abatement of suspected and known ACM-contaminated building areas.
- Operates all power and hand tools used in pipefitting such as pipe bending, threading and cutting machines, pneumatic caulking hammers, electric hand drills, and electric saws.