All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: All applicants must possess the following
- J.D. or LL.B. degree
- Active membership of the bar in good standing in any state, territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, or the commonwealth of Puerto Rico. (Note: proof of bar membership will be required before entry on duty.)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the basic requirement, applicants must also meet the minimum qualification requirement.
SK-16: Applicant must have four years of post J.D. experience as a practicing attorney; three years of which includes: experience interpreting and applying the provisions of the laws, rules, and regulations that govern the securities industry, in particular, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934; providing guidance and expertise in the evaluation of legal and policy issues, addressing securities law issues that often lack clearly applicable precedents due to the novelty of the issues, analyzing the factual and legal issues involved; explaining the application of legal principles and precedents, AND developing and justifying recommendations or conclusions.
1. AREA OF CONSIDERATION: This position is open to all U.S. citizens and persons lawfully admitted for permanent residence and seeking citizenship as outlined in 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)(B).
2. APPLICATION: Application procedures are specific to this vacancy announcement. Please read all the instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in you not being considered for this position.
3. VACANCIES: Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
4. FULL PERFORMANCE LEVEL: This position has promotion potential to the SK-16.
5. TRIAL PERIOD: This appointment may require completion of a two-year trial period.
6. SECURITY CLEARANCE: Entrance on duty is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. Favorable results on a Background Investigation may be a condition of employment or selection to another position.
7. PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION (PCS): Moving/Relocation expenses are not authorized.
8. DIRECT DEPOSIT: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
9. BARGAINING UNIT: This position is in the collective bargaining unit.
Surplus or Displaced Federal Employees: For information on how to apply through the Interagency Career Transition Assistance program (ICTAP) see http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must meet the Well Qualified criteria of the rating scale for this position.
Disability Employment: For information on disability appointments please visit: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the occupational questionnaire. Your resume must support your responses to the occupational questionnaire. After review of your application materials, if you are determined to be minimally qualified, you will be referred to the selecting official.
You will be rated on the following Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs): Your qualifications will be further evaluated based upon the following KSAs. You are required to complete narratives for each KSA in the occupational questionnaire portion of this announcement. Failure to respond to these narratives may result in you being disqualified for this position.
- Knowledge of the federal securities laws, in particular the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and related rules, legal codes, precedents, legal practices and documents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and government organization and functions.
- Ability to produce written information, which may include technical material that is appropriate for the intended audience such as no-action, exemptive, and interpretive letters, rules, and legal memoranda.
- Ability to synthesize, extract, analyze, and organize legal information, data, and strategies from a variety of sources while meeting deadlines and maintaining quality.
- Ability to provide expert legal assistance, advice, and analysis of complex and controversial legal issues of national significance to audiences with varying levels of expertise.
The Occupational Questionnaire will take you approximately 10 minutes to complete. To preview the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link View Assessment Questions