About the Agency
The mission of the U.S. Department of Commerce is to help American businesses thrive, creating jobs here at home while being competitive abroad. Our programs touch the daily lives of the American people in many ways, with a wide range of responsibilities in the areas of trade, economic development, technology, entrepreneurship and business development, environmental stewardship, and statistical research and analysis.
The Office of SelectUSA is looking for an energetic, innovative trade professional who will enjoy working in a dynamic and mission driven organization as an International Trade Specialist. The ideal candidate will have foreign trade and investment experience applying forward-thinking leadership in promoting and implementing a vision that fosters organizational excellence. This position requires knowledge of economic, market, political, conditions, other factors and issues which influence U.S. and foreign direct investment objectives and positions. The candidate will take the lead in assisting the international field in supporting investment inquiries and investment actions.
This position is located in SelectUSA, International Trade Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce.
This vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures under vacancy announcement# ITA-TPFCS-2014-0073.
The individual selected for this position will:
- Plans and coordinates investment and business development programs and events to promote/attract foreign direct investment into the U.S.; analyzes, and recommends positions on complex investment issues, policy positions, or negotiating strategies; develops and disseminates investment information to U.S. businesses or associations; independently provides investment promotion/attraction counseling to clients, foreign investors, and U.S. economic development organizations with difficult investment issues, competitiveness, regulatory barriers and the like.
- Perform foreign direct investment promotion activities, including advising private firms and economic development organizations.
- Develop fact sheets, press releases, pamphlets, or Power Point presentations to communicate specific messages to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Communicate effectively in person, writing on a wide array of administrative and investment topics appropriate to all levels of internal and external stakeholders
- Organize seminars, meetings, conferences, or other events that involve a broad variety of participants.
- Build relationships and coordinating projects with diverse groups to achieve a specific goal or objective.
- Applies knowledge of U.S. federal foreign direct investment (FDI) policies and work experience analyzing issues related to FDI in the United States.
- Applies knowledge of local, state, federal, and international investment promotion objectives and private sector views regarding corporate location decisions.
- Prepares reports, briefing papers, summaries of meetings you attended, or other written materials on investment, trade, or economic issues to be used by senior officials of an organization.
- Provides program support, including ensuring program services address the needs of stakeholders.
- 25% or Greater
- Domestic and international travel is required.