In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: Work as a fully trained member of a firefighting crew engaged in the protection of life and property. Provide basic and intermediate life support treatment to patients in a pre-hospital environment; direct fire and emergency medical personnel in responding to medical emergencies. Perform maintenance tasks on firefighting and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) apparatus, equipment and facilities. Perform inspections, maintenance and testing of firefighting extinguishing systems and portable extinguishers. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).
Selective Placement Factors:
- This position requires Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification. EMT certification MUST be at the Intermediate (EMT-I/99) or higher level issued by the State of Virginia or National Registry. (You must upload a copy of your unexpired certification with your application package to be considered for this position).
- This position requires that you possess the Firefighter I and Firefighter II certifications issued by one of the following: Department of Defense (DoD) Firefighter Certification, International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or National Professional Qualification System (NPQS)/ProBoard. (You must upload copies of your certifications with your application package to be considered for this position).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of firefighting and fire prevention techniques and theory
- Skill in performing a full range of firefighting duties
- Skill in performing a full range of intermediate life support/paramedic duties
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing
- Skill in the use of highly specialized firefighting and EMS apparatus and equipment
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This position requires that you possess the Airport Firefighter certification issued by one of the following: DoD, IFSAC or NPQS/ProBoard OR be able to obtain the Airport Firefighter certification within one year of your start date. (If you possess the Airport Firefighter certification, please upload this certificate with your application package to be considered for this position.)
- Shift work and/or rotating shifts are required to provide coverage on evenings, weekends, and holidays and in other situations.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State driver's license.
- Required to pass pre-employment and annual firefighter physical, and locally established physical agility test.
- This position requires the employee to work 72 hours a week, which includes working weekends and holidays and may be subject to recall after normal tour of duty in cases of emergencies.
- This position requires the employee to wear a uniform and/or protective clothing weighting up to 100 pounds.
- This position requires that you possess the Driver Operator Pumper certification issued by one of the following: DoD, IFSAC or NPQS/ProBoard. (You must upload this certificate with your application package to be considered for this position.)
- This position requires that you possess the HAZMAT Awareness and HAZMAT Operations certifications issued by one of the following: DOD, IFSAC or NPQS/ProBoard. (You must upload these certificates with your application package to be considered for this position.)
- This position is subject to comply with
Drug Abuse Testing Program requirements. This position is a Testing Designated
Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Applicants
tentatively selected for appointment to this position will participate in drug
urinalysis testing, unless currently occupying a TDP within the Department of
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.