About the Agency
The Office of Trade and Economic Analysis (OTEA), Industry & Analysis (I&A) is looking for an energetic, innovative International Economist who will enjoy working in a dynamic and mission driven organization. The ideal candidate will have specialized experience with economic data and statistics. This position requires knowledge of trade and industry data, and applied statistical packages. The selectee will serve as an International Economist conducting complex economic research.
This position is located in the Office of Trade and Economic Analysis, Industry & Analysis, International Trade Administration (ITA). The selectee will serve as an International Economist. The Office of Trade and Economic Analysis provides industry and policy decision makers with information on the impacts of economic and regulatory policies on U.S. manufacturing and services industries, as well as provides a solid foundation of trade and industry data to support the development of national trade policies. OTEA performs in-depth industry analysis on the effects of both domestic and foreign policy developments on U.S. business competitiveness. OTEA publishes research papers that analyze global competitiveness, employment, and the environment. OTEA also does research and analysis to support the National Export Initiative.
ITA is the Federal agency responsible for promoting American exports and supporting international trade through various trade-related services, including business counseling, partnership development, and monitoring of and compliance with trade agreements. ITA also coordinates the Federal role in attracting international investment into the United States through the SelectUSA program. ITA is a global bureau of the Department of Commerce, composed of more than 2400 employees at offices throughout the United States and in more than 70 countries around the world.
If you are found to be qualified and your name is forwarded to the hiring manager, you may be contacted for an interview and you should be prepared and available for an interview within 3-4 weeks from the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required.
This position is also being advertised under merit promotion procedures as vacancy # ITA-MAS-2014-0025.
The selectee will be the Team Leader for the Data Analysis team in OTEA. The Data Analysis team is the pre-imminent economic data and information group in the International Trade Administration (ITA). Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining and ensuring the quality of OTEA's data and information resources; ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of analytical reports produced by OTEA and the Office of Trade Policy and Analysis; and providing technical, statistical, and analytical assistance to Industry and Analysis and other units in the International Trade Administration.
- Preparing international trade and economic background and briefing materials for senior executive officials to use in policy development and promulgation.
- Analyzing key international trade and economic issues and policy recommendations at the request of senior ITA and Commerce officials for economic effects on U.S. trade policies and initiatives.
- Advising on, critiquing, and recommending international trade and economic policies based on relevant economic factors and likely outcomes.
- Briefing senior ITA and Departmental officials on key international trade and economic issues.
- Performing other duties as assigned.